Created in 1968 in the South of France by a veterinarian, Dr. Jean Cathary, ROYAL CANIN® is the pioneer in health nutrition for cats and dogs thanks to its unique philosophy.
Cats' and Dogs' Needs: First and foremost, the health and well-being of cats and dogs. We put their needs first and not their owners’ expectations. It is the core of our philosophy.
Respect: Our approach reflects our respect, understanding and appreciation of cats and dogs who have their own unique functional needs.
Precision: Our instinct and intuition have always been underpinned by thorough and continuous research, observation and investigation.
Knowledge: We are inspired by our shared belief and mission – to make a better world for cats and dogs.
Passion: We are committed to a nutrient-led philosophy. Food provides energy and the building blocks for life and health.
We don’t highlight raw materials that catch pet-owner’s attention but instead concentrate our attention on delivering scientifically formulated and precisely crafted nutrition products. Our focus on the pure science of nutrition puts the animal at the heart of the formulation process, and the ingredients used are always selected to optimize the nutritional content of the food.
There’s more to a kibble than you think.
KIBBLE SHAPE AND SIZE
ROYAL CANIN® is a leader in kibble research and development. Extensive trials at the ROYAL CANIN® Campus and use of advanced equipment such as the “Texturometer” – a tool that measures kibble hardness and the amount of force required to break it – enables a thorough understanding of our kibble and confidence in its quality and performance.
We also take size, shape, texture and density into consideration when developing our kibble and adapt it to the specific characteristics of the dog or cat for which it is intended.
• Labrador Retrievers are known for eating food very quickly and without chewing. A donut-shaped kibble is designed to encourage chewing and works to slow down the speed of ingestion.
• The Persian cat is known for its long, beautiful coat and brachycephalic (flat) face. Persians use the lower side of their tongue to pick up kibble, so we created an almond-shaped kibble that is easier for them to eat.
• A cat or dog’s size and age is important when it comes to kibble size and texture. For example, the kibble for a giant breed adult dog is much larger and more brittle than the kibble for a miniature breed puppy, which needs smaller, softer pieces.
To explore our range of breed-specific nutrition, view the product finder here.
Kibble quality can impact many things, including:
• Dental health - It is important that the cat or dog’s teeth penetrate the kibble so that a “brushing” effect is achieved. This helps to reduce plaque, which can lead to tartar and encourages good oral health.
• Digestion - The more a cat or dog has to chew kibble, the slower the ingestion speed, which can aid in digestion.
• Satisfaction - Kibble density can help to alleviate hunger between meals by creating a sense of fullness. This helps the cat or dog feel satisfied and helps maintain a healthy weight.
• Palatability - Dogs and especially cats are sensitive to how a food feels in their mouths. The right kibble texture can help accentuate a food’s flavor and can positively enhance the feeding experience.
Often, trendy pet food with kibble shapes in the form of fish, bones or other shapes seem attractive. However, these pet foods are only designed to appeal to pet owners. Like every other aspect of our formulas, the different types of uniquely shaped kibble we create are designed for a specific purpose and can have a real impact on the health and beauty of your pet.
DEMYSTIFYING PET NUTRITION MYTHS
Today, pet owners want to be more informed when it comes to what they feed their pets. But there’s also a lot of misinformation out there when it comes to ingredients like protein sources, grains, fillers, gluten and by-products. So what do these ingredients really mean for your pet? Let us tell you.
SHOULD CHICKEN BE THE FIRST INGREDIENT?
Contrary to popular marketing messages, chicken listed first on a label is not an indication that the diet contains more protein. Ingredients must appear in descending order of their weight in the diet. The total weight of the ingredient includes the water content. And since chicken meal is chicken with water and fat removed, it weighs less than chicken but can actually offer a higher percentage of protein.
WHY ARE GRAINS IMPORTANT?
Many people will tell you that corn causes allergies and has no nutritional value. And while a food reaction may affect some dogs with rare, documented food allergies, there is no evidence to support claims that grains in general cause health problems.
When processed properly, grains like corn can be a healthy part of any cat or dog’s diet. In fact, properly processed corn contains far more nutrients than ingredients commonly used as replacements for it in grain-free diets.
ROYAL CANIN® grinds the corn very finely before it is added to any of our formulas. This makes it a very effective and digestible carbohydrate source.
We also recently added corn gluten meal and wheat gluten to some of our feline and canine formulas. Both are great sources of highly digestible protein, and wheat gluten contains amino acids that support gastrointestinal health. Both corn and wheat gluten are good complements to chicken meal.
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT BY-PRODUCTS?
Misinformation about by-products in pet food is widespread, and many people believe that by-products are bad for pets. Chicken by-products are usually the ground, clean parts of the chicken, which include internal organs, bone/cartilage and other parts. ROYAL CANIN® products only use high-quality by-products, like hearts, livers and lungs. And when processed properly, by-products provide valuable nutrients for the pet. They are excellent sources of quality protein, vitamins and minerals and can help contribute to a balanced nutritional profile. We also take great care in selecting and processing by-products for our feline and canine diets. We only use suppliers whose offerings are up to our strict standards, and our intensive food testing program double checks both quality and safety in our raw materials and finished goods.